Four years ago, on the day after election day, I quoted Bob Marley's "Natural Mystic" to sum up what I felt:

"Did you hear the first trumpet?
Might as well be the last.
Many more will have to die.
Many more will have to cry.
Don't ask me why."

Last night, as Patricia and I moved through the massive crowd in Grant Park, through throngs of revelers, still basking in the afterglow of Barack Obama's wonderful speech and the enormous joy and history of the moment, another Bob Marley lyric came to me, and I nearly wept with the rightness of it. The song is "Put It On":

"Feel them spirit. Lord I thank you."

That about sums it all up this time.

Although I must admit that I like George Bush on a personal level, his regime has come to epitomize the sense of malaise, the sense of spiritual dullness, the sense of divisiveness, the sense of slow, blind, lazy inertia that has enveloped our country. And last night, all that changed.

And the peasants rejoice! (Jeremy texted me that when Ohio was called for Obama.)

"Feel them spirit
Feel them spirit
Lord, I thank you
Lord, I thank you
Feel alright now
Feel alright now
Feel alright now
Lord, I thank you."
Lord, I thank you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Keynote Address to the Calumet High School Class of 2016