Into the mysterious, the heart of light, the silence...

I've often pondered on the fact that I've not found my niche in Chicago. I always long to be with the crowds I see flowing past my window, for they look so beautiful and vibrant, yet when I go to them, I find that I have nothing to say, that I'm awkward, that I speak a different language.

Wednesday night, after immersing myself in the editing of my novel (losing time in the process), I took a long, lovely walk through the approaching winter chill to the green line - that north to Ashland - and then an even lovelier walk through quiet streets, past bright windows, to a bar called The Empty Bottle.

I had come to see a band called The Goddamn Shame (with a band called The Lab Partners). I knew no one when I arrived - graded papers at the bar, read The Fountainhead. I didn't feel lonely, just out of place. Everyone was so cool, so conscious of how they were saying things. I didn't feel there was much honest reaction. People had great scarves, and stood just so.

But then Nick, the leadsinger of TGS, whom I had come to see, arrived; he was very kind, and made me feel welcome. He had a few friends who were very kind as well.

As the night went on, I realized I had found my niche, long ago: at a window, fogged, looking out upon the world and part of it by proxy. I have many friends. Some of them are with me...my best, my wife, whom I love so much it just stuns me sometimes.

My niche is quiet, where I can quietly tell a story; then, when feeling open (and not too solemn), I'll drop in on the other humans. Those who aren't afraid to have an honest reaction to things, anyway. Like everyone that I love.

Sometimes, I get lonely. But I can't be a hanger-on in a room full of smoke and people talking so quietly you can't hear what they are saying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Keynote Address to the Calumet High School Class of 2016