On the way to school this morning, all the darkness that has been swirling about amalgamated into a story in my head. I scarcely remember the drive. When a story arrives like that, in a rush, I tend to get more introverted than normal; today was no exception - it was hard to keep my mind on tasks at hand.

About a week or so ago, I happened upon the story of one R. Budd Dwyer, the former Treasurer of Pennsylvania, who, after being indicted and convicted in a bribery/ rackateering case, called a press conference, where many people thought he would announce his resignation. Instead, he shot himself on live TV. I have been haunted by his story ever since.

Here's a link to his wikipedia entry. Footage of his press conference is ubiquitous - but it's very sad, horrifying even. You can find it on your own if you want.

I think that Budd Dwyer's story has haunted me so much because it reminds me that there is such darkness out there in the world. In my life, I seldom come in contact with it, and when I do, it intrigues the hell out of me. It bothers me, haunts me, makes me sad. And eventually, I sit down and write about it.

That's what I do.

I was listening to a Leonard Cohen song called, "Seems So Long Ago, Nancy," when my story surged and exploded within me. I thought I might cry, because I found a way to make his story hopeful.

I'll let you read it if you want to.

On a lighter not, I'm going to see Borat tonight. High five! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lovely Jewels in Joy Designed

My Keynote Address to the Calumet High School Class of 2016