Lit lamps at teatime. I think there will be a thunderstorm later in the afternoon. See how the clouds build to the west? I think there will be a storm.

I awoke to snow and felt instantly happy - last winter was so awful, I just wanted it to die quickly and get warm and stormy, but now, I am ready for it. I love the way the days turn blue at twilight and the way I long for warmth when I'm out walking in the night. I love Chicago at Christmastime, when it's lit and windy (the light hovers).

I'll be spending Christmas in San Francisco, where it'll be warm(er) and rainy, but I'm sure it will glow with lights as well. (I am looking forward to this trip SO much.)

Winter also spurs my imagination - I always seem to write more eloquently of Spring when it's on the far side of the world. Africa looms. The night stars glint like mica in a riverbed. In the space between sleeping and waking, I hear the first echoless roll of thunder and know that soon the rains will come, and I'll lie abed with Patricia listening through the morning, and then rise, drink coffee, watch soccer highlights and write until the afternoon.

Patricia will be out next week, and I can't wait, and we'll lie abed and watch it snow (perhaps) and dream of storms (perhaps).

Tonight: I'm going to drink coffee, finish a story, go out to eat with friends, see Ice Harvest, talk with Patricia, go to bed, and sleep until I'm pink and swollen. :)

I love Thanksgiving, I love winter - I'm so happy to be where I am, but it's also great to long for starfilled windy nights in atoll darkness.

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi dan,
I'm so happy you have a girlfriend. Have fun in San Fran!
Becky

Popular posts from this blog

My Keynote Address to the Calumet High School Class of 2016