(I actually wrote this Monday, but my computer was being a jerk.)

My heart has begun to long for Madagascar again. Yesterday, on a long walk through the new-blazing trees, I caught the leeward edge of a fantastic image…I was wearing my Blu Blockers (which make everything look somehow both old and profound) and gazing up through sunshafts to huge towering thunderclouds, marveling at how such a hot-weather sky could roof such a cool and breezy afternoon.

I sat and looked out over a line of distant oaks and maples and hickories to the bulging domes and turrets…and began to think of vast, dry expanses (the road through the Horombe) and the thrill of sunsplashed villas on the sea, and of gazing upward to unimpeded sprays of stars, and candlelit cafes in the City of Beauty, and excited nights in hot, clanking airports.

I began to think of my gestating novel, The Lamplighter, and I knew how I would finish it. I listened to the music of Gamana on the way home, feeling as though I could burst with love for the place, the culture, the music, the dry highlands, the rainy forests. Madagascar is my patient home, and yesterday, via the clouds, I went there again. And then I went home and wrote, still on the San Francisco trip account, where I passed the 40,000-word mark. Holy God, has this thing grown.

Patricia and I are doing so very well – such a deep and profound connection. We’ve grown close despite being at such geographical distance, and when I see her next week, I will maul her. I want to go to Madagascar with her, and look out over bright Antananarivo with her. I’ve not felt anything like this, a love that allows outward reflection. I am buying a cell phone so that I can talk more easily with her, and anyone who knows me knows that that means I really love her, for I’ve vowed never to join those ranks.

We talked about tribes, and we agreed we are of the same tribe. I can’t wait for my friends to meet her, for they are in the same tribe as well. It’ll be like a homecoming.

To all of those who have stayed open, who haven’t fallen victim to cynicism and fear or petty small-mindedness…thank you. Our tribe has grown quite large, even if I don’t get to see some of you all that often (Jeremy).

A bright sunbeam just burst through the clouds. There are big things at work about me, and I feel that as strongly as I’ve felt anything. Look at the SKY – is it not the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring

Lovely Jewels in Joy Designed