It's been a long time since I've posted here. It certainly has been an interesting time - not boring at all; it's just that I express myself more eloquently in my stories and most of my creativity goes there.

I've been a loner again. It's really hard for an introvert to be a teacher and usually I am just overcome at the end of the day. I'll take a nap, eat dinner in front of the Simpsons, read, take a walk, run errands, write, and go to bed. I have to do this at least two or three nights a week or I'll feel lousy. It's been somewhat of a rough run - I've been drinking too much caffeine (though still not nearly as much as most of my friends), I've been a little depressed by the weather, I've been somewhat overwhelmed/ burned out by teaching, and, until recently, I havent been all that creative. But this is a good time of the year to be burned out - the weather invites naps. I went hiking at the Dunes National Lakeshore on Monday - in the blue, snowy twilight - alone of course, in an attempt to deal with my fugue. It was really beautiful and I came home and wrote - finished a story called "The Blind Merchant of Logrono" that is easily my weirdest ever. It seemed like all of my creativity wanted to come out at once - a big, rusty blob. I look forward to the comments from the writing group - it is certainly out there and usually the group appeciates stories that aren't. We'll see.

I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse with Chris. It was a great show and a spiritless crowd. I told Chris that people were falling asleep during blazing guitar solos. Neil did some great stuff: Greendale in its entirety and then nuggets like "Dangerbird" and "The Old Country Waltz." It makes me sad to see the failure of the baby boomer generation - the generation that was going to change the world (and pretty much did) is now beering themselves to sleep at concerts, waiting to hear the three songs the radio spoonfeeds them, so that they can remember what it was like to be alive. Many of them have no place for new experieinces. They've gone from idealism to dead conservatism. Seeing Neil was an elixir as, I suppose anyway, seeing his crowd was- what to shoot for with age and what to avoid. Chris and I also went to see the Greendale movie on Sunday in Chicago. Though grainy and bad at times it was still a noble endeavor.

Isnt it sad that people say "Wow, Neil Young always follows his muse and is still creative at his age"? He is almost the only one who still is - it should be expected that you follow your heart and not the trends, but it certainly is not.

I'm trying to avoid bitterness - even though I'm surrounded in it.

Current reading: Gibran.
Current song: Where are the Spring Peepers?

Rent FUBAR - perhaps the most brilliant movie ever. I saw it with Sarah and we both loved it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Keynote Address to the Calumet High School Class of 2016