Bush Lied!

Today marks the one year anniversary of the day ignorance reigned supreme and life was lost. King Dubya launched his "preemptive" strike against Iraq (to stop their production of nuclear weap...Ahem...weapons of mass...Ahem...evil) and showed the world the wonders of his bloated military budget and ego. I nearly cried when I saw a live picture of Baghdad (just before Shock and Awe) and I wondered what these people were feeling, waiting for the sky to literally fall. I felt so alone. Everyone was pumped up on adrenaline and I felt saddened beyond belief. It was one of the darkest days I have known.

I know now that I wasn't alone, that nearly half of this country and 95 percent of the world were against it. The UN was against it. Most of our allies were against it. They said it would disrupt the very fabric of the world's alliance - and they were right.

And things have changed for the better. Spain's entire gov't was just voted out because of their involvement in the war. Bush's popularity has dropped considerably. People are starting to rise up against corrupt governments and their warmongering policies. I said there were positives to having King Dubya in the White House - and I was right. His ignorance has cast a glaring light on the problems of this country - and the world, and he has unified everyone (who isn't ultra-conservative) against this type of muted despotism.

I felt alone, but now I don't. I will always say with pride that I never once supported Dubya's war - that I stood passionately against it from the beginning.

I wrote a song about it. Huldufolk are Eve's children, who supposedly live amongst the glaciers in Iceland.

A soldier lies in wait/ He took it pretty bad
He puts pressure on his bleeding side/ And holds his face in his hands
He feels the ground shake with mortar/ That turns the day into night
He had begun to wonder/ If something here wasn't right
He said 'These men all look sick'/ 'They don't have nothing to eat'
'And when they die they leave their families/ 'Just like me.'

While across the seas the Huldufolk peer out from their glaciers at the World
And in the factories the forgotten workers huddle in the cold.

And in the White House/ The President goes to bed at nine
Thinking that the latest polls/ Told him he was doing fine
Said 'These folks know I'm doing/ 'The best that I can'
"They like that I'm doing my thinking/ 'Like a good Christian man.'

While across the seas the Huldufolk shake their fingers at the West
And in the factories the forgotten workers slave long into the night

Then the soldier dies/ And then Baghdad falls
And the American flag/ Is hung on the bloody, broken walls
His last coherent thought/ Before he drifts to the deep
Is that these men are my brothers/ They bleed the same as me

While across the seas the Huldufolk raise their voices to the stars
And from the factories the forgotten workers trudge home to empty beds

And in the White House/ The President falls asleep
He thinks (how) it's been a pleasant day/ And pulls up his silk sheets
But in the factories/ The workers shut down for the night
And in the desert sun/ The soldiers see a different light

While across the seas the Huldufolk set great fires on the shore
And in the factories the workers see a far away point of light

I'm wearing black today and lighting a candle in my window - and I'm still hoping that last years ignorance is breeding a new conscience awareness.

Peace and love. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring

Lovely Jewels in Joy Designed