Tuesday for me was devastation. Wednesday was an ache, a resignation. Tuesday we choked. Sunday and Wednesday we were simply outplayed and there is no harm in that. I grieved on Tuesday, grieved for Ronnie, for Steve Bartman, for Ernie Banks, for what might have been. By Wednesday I was tapped out. I still had hope but was acquiescent with the fact that it was not meant to be.

Today I am sad but proud to be a part of this, to be a Cubs fan.

There are those who don’t understand the deeply profound bond that we share with our team – my girlfriend for one. We’ve all heard it: “Why do you get so worked up over a bunch of overpaid athletes?” Well, is it any more illogical to feel for a group of guys that you’ve followed all year than it is to cry at the end of a movie for fictional characters that you’ve known for two hours? Is it any more pointless to get excited over the Cubs than it is to get upset over an outrageous political decision; we have control of neither.

Rejoice in feeling sad today. It means that we have felt, that we have hoped – despite the urgings of history – that we have cared enough to be a part of something. To wax philosophical for a moment, the Lebanese poet and prophet Kahlil Gibran wrote: “the deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.” The very fact that we are experiencing this means more to me than the false joy of any bandwagon aficionado. There are real Marlins fans – and many are very true. But I’m afraid that for most, the celebrating may be a little less intense than any we would have had.

I’m proud of Steve Bartman for standing up like a man. Anyone threatening him should learn something about standing up. He feels more horribly than anyone in the world about this, and I feel so bad for him.

I’m proud of Maurry the Brave who showed passion (misdirected perhaps) for his Atlanta Braves on our website. It’s all about passion, and we were wrong to condone the fans of an entire organization based on the apathy of a few of them, just as it’s wrong to condemn our fans as equals to the beer-swilling drunkards that paraded by the camera smiling and hooting last night.

I’m proud of my friend Chris who showed that not every Sox fan has to hate the Cubs. He cheered them on for the sake of Chicago.

Hold your heads high.

I’ll never forget listening at a remote Wisconsin campsite to the Cubs clinching game against the Pirates, Ronnie saying, “I can’t stand it, I just can’t stand it.” I will always think of that and I will smile even though I was teary at the time.

We’ve come a long way this year. Does anyone remember Bruce Kimm? We’ve got the makings of a good team for many years and we’ve got fans with the faith and the passion that no organization anywhere can outdo. Yes, this is disappointing, but I’m still proud to be a Cub’s fan.

Just please, for the love of all that’s holy, don’t say, “Wait ‘til next year.” I may have to punch you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Keynote Address to the Calumet High School Class of 2016