I didn't get to go camping this weekend. It was the Tippecanoe trip, the most important trip of the year, but it didn't disappoint me too much. We all get let down but we don't have to stay.

Last night (Friday) I watched the Cubs win, watched an excellent Neil and Crazy Horse video, read "A Walk in the Woods" and then drank 2 Pepsi's. I was feeling very inspired and on a whim went down to Purdue (after Adam called) at about 10 o'clock pm. Listening to Radiohead's new album as I accelerated onto the 65 South on-ramp, I felt like I was just gonna explode with energy and optimism. I feel that lingering today. Adam and I went to Denny's and had a discussion that could have been lifted right out of Fight Club, tackling absurdly huge life issues over pancakes and orange juice. Profound.

I deleted my last post because I felt it sounded overly whiny (indeed, it was written at 3 am) and that was not my intention. I want people to share my passions, but sometimes they have passions for other things. I haven't found a traveling partner yet, and that can be frustrating, but I'm not gonna let that stop me from going. I'm a bit of a loner anyway.

Adam D. got me a t-shirt for my birthday. It is awesome; an old minor league baseball team from the 50's called the Decatur Commies. I am a big fan of old-time baseball stuff and just as big a fan of wearing things that make conservatives do a double take.

I've still got a lingering cough, but I'm almost completely over the sickness that dominated the latter portion of my week. Yeah.

I love staying down at Purdue. It's fun to hang out with the guys, insulting each other horribly (but good-naturedly) at all times. It's very comfortable, just laying around watching baseball, burping, farting, cussing - man is his unattractive, basest form. I never really put on airs, especially not here.

I've been messing around with the electric guitar ("When I get big, I'm gonna get an ELECTRIC guitar, when I get REAL big) and have recorded versions of a couple of my folk songs in a kinda metal scraping, train-wreck fashion. It's been very cathartic and a lot of fun to just murder a soft love ballad, listening as my heartfelt, nasal vocals are crushed under a moving wall of feedback and shrapnel. That's about how I've felt. It's great to take out your frustrations in that way. It was soo freaking loud that my ears rang for about 20 minutes and my dad came in and told to turn it down! You just don't understand, DAD! (Actually he too plays guitar and often almost as loud as I do - and always much better.) :)

I'm gonna go make some noise. There are rumblings of a Captain D's trip tonight. I think my stomach is protesting in advance.
"I'm worried, I'm always in love." - Wilco.
Pray in love.
Dan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Keynote Address to the Calumet High School Class of 2016